The Frederick Chopin Society in Warsaw is a centre of importance with world wide connections and since 1899 has been a continuation of the Chopin section of the Warsaw Music Society.
The Frederick Chopin Institute was founded in 1934 on the initiative of politicians, musicians and publishers, including Jozef Beck, Mieczyslaw Idzikowski, Janusz Jedrzejewicz, Emil Mlynarski, Stanislaw Niewiadomski, Karol Szymanowski and August Zaleski. In 1935, the Institute started to collect autographs, books, gramophone records and photographs, in this way creating the foundations for a future museum with recordings and photographic collections as well as a library. It also published the "Chopin" periodical. In 1937, the Institute embarked on the task of publishing the Collected Works of Frederick Chopin.
The Second World War halted the activity of the Frederick Chopin Institute which was re-opened in 1945. In 1950, it changed its name to the Frederick Chopin Society, whose location since 1953 has been the Ostrogski Castle, which also houses the Chopin Museum, Library, and Collections of Photographs and Gramophone Recordings. Furthermore, the Frederick Chopin Society administers the Birthplace of Frederick Chopin in Zelazowa Wola and the Chopin Drawing Room in the Czapski (formerly - Krasinski) Palace in 5 Krakowskie Przedmiescie in Warsaw.
The Frederick Chopin Society pursues scientific, publishing, exhibition and concert activities in Ostrogski Castle, at the birthplace of Frederick Chopin in Zelazowa Wola, as well as next to the Chopin statue in the Lazienki Krolewskie Park (Sunday open-air Concerts) and in the Sanniki Palace.
In 1949-1961, the Society issued in cooperation with the Polish Music Publishers (PWM), The Collected Works of Frederick Chopin (Dziela wszystkie), edited by Ignacy Paderewski, Ludwik Bronarski and Jozef Turczynski, and in the years 1967 to 1992 - nine facsimiles of the The National Edition of the Works of Frederick Chopin (Wydanie Narodowe Dziel) edited by Jan Ekier and again published jointly with PWM.
From 1956, the Society has published the annual "Rocznik Chopinowski" (25 volumes up to date), and from 1985 - "Chopin Studies" (seven volumes up to 2002). Moreover, the Society published several score posters for various Chopin events, a Catalogue of Collections (Katalog Zbiorow) and many catalogues for exhibitions organised at its centre. Together with the Polish Music Publishers in Krakow, the Society published a Catalogue of the Works of Frederick Chopin (Katalog Dziel Fryderyka Chopina) prepared by Jozef M. Chominski and Teresa D. Turlo. In the years 1999-2000 on the occasion of the 150th death anniversary of Frederick Chopin the Society has published 10 books containing facsimile autographs of Chopins works and latters.
The Society organises international events: the Frederick Chopin Piano Competition, the Grand Prix du Disque F. Chopin Record Competition (since 1985), master classes for the interpretation of Chopin compositions (since 1985), scientific symposia (such as in 1960, 1986, 1989), and exhibitions held abroad (for example in Japan, Belgium, Hungary, the Czech Republic, France and USA in 1960 and 1999); it also provides constant guidance for young pianists by organising annual National Competitions for Frederick Chopin Art Scholarships (since 1967) and co-operates and assists in the organisation of Chopin festivals and competitions in Poland and abroad. In 1985, the Frederick Chopin Society established the International Federation of Chopin Societies, the International Chopin Foundation in 1988 and the Alliances Internationale d'Associations et d'Amis de Frederick Chopin in 1995.
The Chairmen of the Board of the Frederick Chopin Institute and Society have been:
Since December 2001 the Chairman has been Kazimierz Gierzod.